Racecourse to acknowledge 2017/18 season winners with “The Newburys”
At the end of another successful season of Jump racing at Newbury, the racecourse will acknowledge some of those who have lit up the campaign with starring performances by introducing their own end-of-season awards, “The Newburys”, in association with Be Wiser.
The winning-most owner, trainer, jockey and conditional jockey during Newbury’s 2017/18 jumps racing season will all be celebrated throughout the afternoon of racing on Saturday, March 24 with a special prize awarded to yard who has won the most Best Turned Out awards over the course of the season and which is backed by the West Berkshire Racing Club. The winning yard will take home a winning shield which was shared between Nicky Henderson and Philip Hobbs last season.
Racing enthusiasts are also being given the chance to vote their ‘Moment Of The Season’ from a sparkling shortlist of six;
- Total Recall’s battling success from Whisper in the inaugural Ladbrokes Trophy (formerly The Hennessy Gold Cup) – the first Irish-trained horse to take the spoils in 37 years.
- Kalashnikov landing a huge victory to win the Betfair Hurdle in very testing ground for trainer Amy Murphy.
- Beer Goggles landing a surprise win under Richard Johnson in the Ladbrokes Long Distance Hurdle at 40/1.
- Poetic Rhythm winning the Betfred Challow Hurdle to give trainer Fergal O’Brien his first Grade One success.
- Altior returning from enforced absence to claim a repeat victory in the Betfair Exchange Chase in emphatic fashion from the gutsy Politologue
- Native River recording a second consecutive success in the Betfair Denman Chase before heading on to Gold Cup glory at the Cheltenham Festival.
Racing fans can vote from the above shortlist by visiting www.newburyracecourse.co.uk/Newburys-Jump-Season-Awards or via Newbury’s social media platforms.
Voting will close at midday on Friday, March 23, 2018.
All those who vote will be eligible for a chance to win a pair of Premier badges for the Ladbrokes Winter Carnival, featuring the Ladbrokes Trophy on Saturday, December 1, 2018.