Head of Operations
Competitive Salary + Benefits
Newbury Racecourse is one of the country’s leading sporting venues with a multi-functional site playing host to c. 30 racedays each year, plus a wide range of other exciting events including concerts, weddings and exhibitions. Alongside this a wide range of support businesses are operated from the site, and with ongoing and major re-development, we have transformed the site to deliver an exceptional experience for all our customers and a thriving residential community.
Newbury Racecourse now seeks an appropriately experienced individual to take up the role of Head of Operations. This is a pivotal appointment for a qualified and talented professional to join our leadership team and play a key role in the ambitious ongoing development of the racecourse, taking responsibility for built structures and facilities, as well as the operational planning, co-ordination and implementation of all racedays and other events.
Reporting into the Chief Executive, the successful candidate will ensure delivery of a first class venue and customer experience, underpinned by robust and compliant business systems and infrastructure.
Your key responsibilities will be:
• Full control of Event Day Operations, including;
o Strategic event coordination to ensure the delivery of a safe, first-class event
o Line management of the Operations Manager and the security team
o Traffic Management
o Contractor Management
o Raceday staff management
o Lead on customer service strategy
o Health and Safety – acting as Safety Officer when required with overall responsibility for raceday crowd safety, response services and compliance
• Full control of all built structures on site. Specifically this will include;
o Line management of our Maintenance Manager and team
o Proactive and reactive maintenance, small works and refurbishment
o Budget – delivering value for money through robust management of the supply chain, with proactive forecasting and monitoring of all budget lines for built structures.
o Venue presentation
o Contractor Management
o Governance, compliance and insurance responsibilities
o Operational planning
You will need:
• Significant depth of experience and demonstrable success in operational planning and facility management
• A successful track record of events delivery within a comparable venue, with detailed knowledge of crowd dynamics
• Detailed understanding of Health and Safety management supported by appropriate qualifications
• Outstanding communications skills, natural ability to engage with and manage senior stakeholders (both internal and external)
• Dynamism and presence, ability to act as an ambassador for the racecourse
• An interest/background in sport/racing, combined with knowledge of the recent and current issues facing this field as we emerge from Covid pressures
To apply please email your CV and covering letter including current remuneration details to Hugh Nickerson at Conundrum Consulting Ltd via [email protected] quoting reference number JID1201 in the email subject line
All direct and third party responses will be forwarded to Conundrum.
Newbury Racecourse PLC is an equal opportunities employer.